Interesting Dinosaur News

General discussion about everything and anything about Prehistoric Kingdom

Re: Interesting Dinosaur News

Postby Acheroraptor » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:01 pm

ProjectMammoth wrote:These titles mean the same thing to me......

No this one is about ONE SPECIFIC INSTANCE of interesting dinosaur news, not a place to post dinosaur news in general.

Anyways, just post on the thread I linked.
Acheroraptor
Wiki Team

Postby ProjectMammoth » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:02 pm

I know that!
ProjectMammoth
Ankylosaurus

Postby Acheroraptor » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:09 pm

ProjectMammoth wrote:I know that!

Okay, just don't post new finds about dinosaurs here
Acheroraptor
Wiki Team

Postby ProjectMammoth » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:33 pm

but i'm not........
ProjectMammoth
Ankylosaurus

Postby Deathwing742 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:05 pm

I don't believe all dinosaurs had feathers. We don't have the tools to test that yet. I do believe a lot of small dinosaurs like, raptors, troodonts, small herbivores, and other small two legged dinosaurs had feathers, but only in from the Late Jurassic and onward. My theory with feathers on dinosaurs depends on time period, size and climate they lived in. I don't believe the first dinosaurs had evolved full feathers, this includes downy covering. Maybe protofeathers that looked like spikes as time got closer toward the Cretaceous, then around the Late Jurassic we see full downy feathers in small dinosaurs and in baby theropods but they lose them as they get older and bigger.
Now with animals that lived in warm or hot climates, it really much of an advantage to half more covering on them, so they probably didnt have much feather covering if any at all, especially if they're big animals like Rex or Theri. If they did have feather covering, it would probably be small feathers to have some form of insolation and maybe display feathers on their heads, arms and tail. But again, if the animal is bigger and the warmer the climate, the less feathers they had. Now with big animals living in cold climates like Yutyrranus, then yes I do believe the animals had full feather covering to keep warm, but once the climate warms up, they shed the feathers they don't need.

This is all theory and speculation so I could be wrong, but only time will tell.
Deathwing742
Egg

Postby Merking » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:14 pm

Deathwing742 wrote:I don't believe all dinosaurs had feathers. We don't have the tools to test that yet. I do believe a lot of small dinosaurs like, raptors, troodonts, small herbivores, and other small two legged dinosaurs had feathers, but only in from the Late Jurassic and onward. My theory with feathers on dinosaurs depends on time period, size and climate they lived in. I don't believe the first dinosaurs had evolved full feathers, this includes downy covering. Maybe protofeathers that looked like spikes as time got closer toward the Cretaceous, then around the Late Jurassic we see full downy feathers in small dinosaurs and in baby theropods but they lose them as they get older and bigger.
Now with animals that lived in warm or hot climates, it really much of an advantage to half more covering on them, so they probably didnt have much feather covering if any at all, especially if they're big animals like Rex or Theri. If they did have feather covering, it would probably be small feathers to have some form of insolation and maybe display feathers on their heads, arms and tail. But again, if the animal is bigger and the warmer the climate, the less feathers they had. Now with big animals living in cold climates like Yutyrranus, then yes I do believe the animals had full feather covering to keep warm, but once the climate warms up, they shed the feathers they don't need.

This is all theory and speculation so I could be wrong, but only time will tell.

Yutyrannus lived in a temperate climate, only barely colder than the one T.rex lived in.
And since feathers don´t only insulate against cold, but also against heat, that argument is flawed anyways.
Animals don´t immediately loose everything they don´t need; otherwise we would probably lack a lot of ear bones.
Protofeathers aren´t "quills", Psittacosaurus is just an edgy hipster.
Because my old "avatar" got kind of old.
I like feathers.
Patience is key here, little grasshoper.
Merking
Ankylosaurus

Postby ProjectMammoth » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:44 pm

indeed
ProjectMammoth
Ankylosaurus

Previous

Return to General discussion