Dilophosaurs thread

General discussion about everything and anything about Prehistoric Kingdom

Re: Dilophosaurs thread

Postby Edaphosaurus » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:23 pm

Prehistoric ranger wrote:Like an angered rooster?

Image
:lol:


I was thinking more great crested grebe:

Image
Image
Edaphosaurus 2.0 - Still controversial, just with less hate
Edaphosaurus
Ankylosaurus
 
Posts: 1690
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:25 am
Location: The Permian

Re: Dilophosaurs thread

Postby barrosasaurus » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:25 pm

Feathered frills FTW!!!!

Actually I don't mind whether or not. And i think that it has been discovered with feathers. But i'm not too sure.
I am the ex holy lepidotian pope. The current pope is medena, because i got bored

Also, i am a writer for UP, the one who makes everything sound pretty by saying stuff such as "the magenta flowers" :P
User avatar
barrosasaurus
Ankylosaurus
 
Posts: 1110
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:53 am

Re: Dilophosaurs thread

Postby whiskasaur » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:43 pm

I think we should focus on behavior and those things.

It would prefer to live in small groups from 3 to even 5, but they can live alone, no matter the gender. Probably in forests near a river or a lake, this can also combines with less forested areas. They aren't very territorial but they could defend quite a bit their feeding areas. They don't challenge most of their rivals, like cheetahs.

They can feed on small vertebrates, insects, fish (I think this is the main food) and maybe carrion, sometimes they could try hunting bigger but weak preys (size of a dryosaurus or kind of) using their claws mainly. They like sunbathing in glades or banks. They also like "singing" (I think this could be an interesting feature).

Their mating behavior could be like crested grebs (you gave me a good idea). In mating season males compete showing their crests bla bla bla give fish as presents to the females bla bla bla and even "singing" with calls bla bla bla love bla bla and then they make nests hidden in the foliage. The parents care their offspring (4-7) for the first weeks and then they leave them to be in their territory. Then they reach maturity at 4-6 years and look for a new territory, but if the actual one is with a few individuals they can still there.

What do you think?
My English level: Potato
Criticisms are necessary to improve.
"Spared no expense"
Image
User avatar
whiskasaur
Velociraptor
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 5:44 am

Re: Dilophosaurs thread

Postby RaptorGod95 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:09 pm

Merking wrote:
Spitfire109 wrote:
Spinosaurus wrote:Frill no. Venom no. There is no evidence whatsoever that suggests Dilophosaurus had a frill, and PK is going for realism.

I think the security level should be medium and the diet should consist of smaller animals and fish. It should move around in groups or packs of about 3-6, and would be rather territorial to other similar sized carnivores by shaking it's head and roaring viciously. The crest should be very colourful, and of course, the Dilophosaurus has to have feathers!



I dont know if dilo should have feathers, or at least a lot of feathers, cause its a Jurassic era dino, so evolution might not be that far in yet.

From what we know archosaurs likelly had feathers since the triassic.

For me as long as it is protofeathers then that's ok, but if you make it bird-like feathers then that's when I disagree.
Image
RaptorGod95
Velociraptor
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:15 pm
Location: Beacon Academy, Kingdom of Vale

Re: Dilophosaurs thread

Postby Garrus » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:10 pm

As I recall, the evidence suggests protofeathers on Dilophosaurus. If I remember correctly, there is a trackway from Dilophosaurus that appears to show an imprint of its belly (the animal was at rest) with impressions believed to be from said feathers. Just what I remember off the top of my head.
Garrus
Velociraptor
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:33 pm

Re: Dilophosaurs thread

Postby khbkhb777 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:05 pm

Garrus wrote:As I recall, the evidence suggests protofeathers on Dilophosaurus. If I remember correctly, there is a trackway from Dilophosaurus that appears to show an imprint of its belly (the animal was at rest) with impressions believed to be from said feathers. Just what I remember off the top of my head.

You're correct, although some people said that it was probably just the mud being "molded" by the weight of the Dilophosaurus, although it looks more like actual filaments preserved in the mud than mud "stretch marks". Also, someone said earlier that dinosaurs wouldn't have evolved feathers yet due to it being a more "primitve" species. This isn't true because the evidence shows that feathers are ancestral to all archosaurs, aka dinosaurs, pterosaurs and psuedosuchians (crocodilians and all their extinct relatives).
I'm tired of life. Goodbye.
User avatar
khbkhb777
Wiki Team
 
Posts: 748
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:38 am
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Re: Dilophosaurs thread

Postby Flishstar » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:51 pm

I do feel Dilophosaurus would eat fish often, but considering besides its snout, it was rather generic in build, it was probably a lot more generalistic than say a Spinosaurid or Unenlagiine. At the very least it would make it feel more unique and interesting if it was a generalist.
Image
User avatar
Flishstar
Pterandon
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:41 pm

Re: Dilophosaurs thread

Postby Praetor » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:32 am

Hello, I posted this to the contest focused on which dino should be the next released in demo, so maybe some of you already saw it. But its my attempt to depict a Dilophosaurus. Too skinny on chest, lets say its starving, but in other means, worth to suggest this look.

http://praetor25.deviantart.com/art/Dilophosaurus-wetherilli-452601186
Praetor
Egg
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:23 am

Re: Dilophosaurs thread

Postby barrosasaurus » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:30 am

I like it. But white is too conspicuous a colour for a somewhat generallist predator.

I would prefer a darker mottled pattern. Chicks could be white though.
I am the ex holy lepidotian pope. The current pope is medena, because i got bored

Also, i am a writer for UP, the one who makes everything sound pretty by saying stuff such as "the magenta flowers" :P
User avatar
barrosasaurus
Ankylosaurus
 
Posts: 1110
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:53 am

Re: Dilophosaurs thread

Postby Garrus » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:02 am

Good lord no, that is a terrible idea. From a fitness standpoint anyway. Precocial chicks are generally very well camouflaged. The Kentish plover chicks I am working with right now, for example, are a dusty brown with blacks speckles and spots. They have a white belly, but this is hidden whenever they go into "rock mode" (makes handling them easy, too, u ntil it finally dawns on them that they have, in fact, been found). The same goes for the pied avocets, little terns, and black winged stilts nesting in this area. Their chicks are all colored with variations on this same theme. Same goes for most wild fowl species. The pattern is, of course, tailored to the specific habitat that the birds hail from. I imagine that dinosaur chicks would be much the same.

That being said, I do think albino or leucistic animals would be interesting additions to the game.
Garrus
Velociraptor
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest