Where in the world, would you build your P.K.?

General discussion about everything and anything about Prehistoric Kingdom

Where in the world, would you build your P.K.?

Postby Manager Harris » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:24 pm

This has been a question that I've been thinking for some time now. What with findings such as the Hell Creek Formation having more seasonal weather within the Cretaceous, the world has quite literally opened up for Prehistoric Kingdom; we are now no longer restricted to having islands off the coast of Costa Rica as the location for our park, we can build our parks in any location of the planet. And so I ask this question to the members of this forum:

Where in the world, would you build your Prehistoric Kingdom?

Personally, I would build my park in the Azores, on an currently as of yet uninhabited island that the Portuguese government will be willing to lease.

I believe this to be the perfect location for PK as the average air temperature varies between 11-26 degrees Celsius depending on the time of the year and the surrounding Atlantic ocean averages between 15-25 degrees Celsius; just right for both the visitors and all of the prehistoric animals that will be living on the island. Heck there could even be the chance to allow animals adapted to the cold such as the Wooly Mammoth and Megaloceros out of their chilled, indoor habitat to the outside world to graze and migrate. And as the islands are prone to rainy days due to its location, the modern and prehistoric flora will remain healthy consistently.

This location is also perfect for Prehistoric Kingdom, as it is both isolated from the world and at the same time a stone's throw away from civilisation. The Azores are located 950 miles west of Lisbon, so the mainland has absolutely no need to worry about the animals reaching the mainland! But the islands can be reached by plane within a couple of hours, (if there is the opportunity; the Prehistoric Kingdom island may even be reached by 3 modes of transportation, ferries, cruise ships and the "bus" plane service that hops around each of the islands of the archipelago!). The islands are also located between 3 continents; Europe, Africa and North America.

And finally Europe has to have another great theme park in order to compete with North America. North America may have Disney World and Universal Studios, but Europe has Prehistoric Kingdom; the 8th wonder of the modern world!

Anyway the Azores will be my location for Prehistoric Kingdom, but I now ask the forum; where will you build yours?
"We're giving the gift of Life a second chance, to the giants that Mother Nature left abandoned."

Dr. Norman Atherton
Co-founder of InGen Incorporated
Manager Harris
Velociraptor

Re: Where in the world, would you build your P.K.?

Postby Sniper » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:05 pm

That's a good question...maybe somewhere on the Pacific ocean, near the coasts of Africa or somewhere near Japan.
My blog:http://prehistoric-world.blogspot.hu/

"Now i am become death, the destroyer of worlds"
Sniper

Postby Windmiller » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:24 pm

Well, my inital answer would be ofc Umboi Island. Me and Silver did some research before settling on an island for our novel.

The main reasons for picking it are:
1. its tropical, always important.
2. its pretty huge. like 800km2 huge.
3. its scaresly populated. theres about 15000 inhabitants in small villages.
4. It's location.
- Now here is what makes it interesting. First of, Papua New Guinea is a relatively poor country, and it would not be unreasonable to assume that they would sell, or at least lease a portion, if not all of the island for a good bag of gold as it would mean a great influx of tourists in PNG.
- The island is very close to one of the most populous countries on the planet, China, India and Japan, and dont forget Australia and New Zealand which would also have some nice rich peeps too. maybe Saudi Arabia is within the reach?

The groundbreaking counter argument for NOT choosing this island is that, the PNG government is VERY protective of its cultural diversity, and if a dino park means at the expense of some tribes, it could be the killing blow for the project. I dont know how protective they are but rainforest and isolated tribal comunities are among their top priorities
29 miles of the coast of Papua New Guinea...
Death is arbitrary, and once put in an unsurvivable situation, there is only one way left to go...
The sceptical writer of Umboi Park, we'll see how it turns out
Windmiller
Velociraptor

Postby Pangea » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:19 pm

I'll probably go with San Diego, California. Primarily because of how it has a decent amount of tourist attractions already, and a PK focused there would seem fitting.
Pangea
Pterandon

Postby SilvermistInc » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:27 pm

Wind! Your short answer insults me so! Now the island I would choose would naturally be Umboi (duh).

Now let's go over a list of reasons why I chose this island.

1. The temperature of Umboi is 82.76 °F at noon. May is coldest with an average temperature of 64.04 °F at night. There is no dramatic change of temperature as you would expect in America or Europe as it is relatively constant throughout the year. However on some days it has been known to frost on night during the coldest month which is August, but later in the day it quickly heats up again and warms back up. This is not a problem due to the fact that most of our dinosaurs are either very large and/or have feathers.

2. The location of Umboi is close to two major governments: The Papua New Guinea government and Australian government. Should there be a major emergency at the park there are two locations that could help support the park. Examples include medical emergency, natural disaster, etc. Umboi is also somewhat close to the equator which means that the day and night cycle will be somewhat more constant as well as temperature. The sun rises at 5:40AM and sets at 6:00PM which means the days on Umboi are around 13 hours while the nights are 11 hours. This could add for some interesting nocturnal behavior for the hunters of the park.

3. This one will be short but the environment is a never dry cool tropical rainforest which is perfect for a dinosaur park setting.

4. The size of Umboi is 800km2 which is huge and more than enough to support the many dinosaurs the park is/will have to offer. This large amount of space allows us to get creative with our exhibits and buildings. However, the large amount of space can also be a downfall as should a smaller dinosaurs, say, an Archaeopteryx escape it would be rather difficult to find it and it could potentially escape the island. But with such a large amount of space it will allows herds of Brachiosaur to be able to roam as well as the large herds of Maiasaura to be able to behave naturally without causing too much distress.

5. The PNG government is a rather poor government and because of this the purchase of Umboi for $20b USD would not only help grow the economy but also get rid of a sort of "Cartel" problem the government has on Umboi. Umboi also hosts a series of volcanos. Two small and one big, and with this there would naturally be many valuable minerals. Which would be perfect cover for the company that bought it, SimINC. The island also has some many villagers which would naturally decrease in population by the time the purchase is made and would also supply a cheap work force that could be used to add to the "exoticness" for visitors.

For more information on UP please contact Windmiller or myself for information. Also don't forget to check out this link and thank our concept artist, Meden, for the wonderful art she has made for us. http://medenadragon.deviantart.com/gall ... Umboi-Park
Umboi Park, Kazakhstan Civil War, Cenozoic Park. Crazy stuff goes on in the SimINC Universe.
SilvermistInc
Ankylosaurus

Postby VictorasaurusRex » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:28 am

SilvermistInc wrote:Wind! Your short answer insults me so! Now the island I would choose would naturally be Umboi (duh).

{REST OF SILVERMISTINC'S WALL OF TEXT}

You killed the topic, you fool.

Anyway, I'd probably go tropical nevertheless because Jurassic Park. I might go polar sometime, to play around with the mechanics, but that's about all the ideas I have...
Once the Lead level design of Prehistoric Kingdom, now just a lifeless forum moderator, desperately trying to stay relevant for the team, community and game.
I like Raptors.
VictorasaurusRex
Developer

Postby Ashes » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:04 am

I would build it on another planet :D
Ashes
Velociraptor

Postby TyrannusRex » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:11 am

I'm not 100% sure where exactly I would build mine, but I'd try to shoot for someplace with mild seasons.
Maybe somewhere in the eastern/midwestern US. I'd love for it to be close enough that I could drive to work there everyday, but in West Virginia, we tend to have (for lack of a better term) ass-hot summers and ass-cold winters. :(
Still, though. It's nice to live in a place with four seasons. :)
My park could probably raise entelodonts, ground sloths, maybe even Nanuqsaurus without much problem, judging by climate and terrain (or "biome" for you ZT2 players 8-) ).
(Speaking of ground sloths, our state fossil is Megalonyx jeffersonii)

12/29: Did I say "ass-cold winters"? I may have gotten that a bit mixed up. 60 degrees and rain. :cry:
Last edited by TyrannusRex on Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life." -Charles Darwin
TyrannusRex
Velociraptor

Location: West Virginia, somewhere between that tree and the other one; hit a rock and you've gone too far

Postby Derpasaur » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:56 am

Even tho it is very unlikely US would ever lease it, id choose Yellowstone. many different environments, moderate climate with snow in winter. no problem cuz feathers, and its very huge and a beautiful space. and if need be, let it be blown up by the supervolcano and kill everything within 1200 miles.
“God created dinosaurs. God destroyed dinosaurs. God created Man. Man destroyed God. Man created dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs eat man...Woman inherits the earth.”
― Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park
Derpasaur
Velociraptor

Postby TyrannusRex » Mon May 09, 2016 6:49 pm

Derpasaur wrote:Even tho it is very unlikely US would ever lease it, id choose Yellowstone. many different environments, moderate climate with snow in winter. no problem cuz feathers, and its very huge and a beautiful space. and if need be, let it be blown up by the supervolcano and kill everything within 1200 miles.

1) Let's not rely on that as our main security measure, shall we? :shock:
2) It would be effective, however... but life finds a way.
3) All in all, though, I think you'd make Robert Muldoon proud.
"A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life." -Charles Darwin
TyrannusRex
Velociraptor

Location: West Virginia, somewhere between that tree and the other one; hit a rock and you've gone too far

Next

Return to General discussion