Dunkleosteus - More lips for lip week

Share your burning questions about Prehistoric Kingdom

Re: Dunkleosteus - More lips for lip week

Postby Acheroraptor » Tue May 24, 2016 3:28 pm

barrosasaurus wrote:
Allosauroidea wrote:As they're not true teeth but bone plates, wouldn't a better analogue to them be something like horn, which is generally exposed. Also the point made about collisions causing pain, that would happen with a fleshy covering as well.
Actually, speaking of horn, would the 'teeth' have had a keratinous sheath? And if so, would that be adequate protection?

Teeth are brittle. Lips are not. Lips cant chip if it runs into grit. Teeth from personal experience certainly can. Lips are like nature's gum shields. Not everything meeds them, but big predators usually do (or have some other method to repair teeth ala shark).

In fact, bones are more in need of protection than teeth, as they grow back very slowly, and have to have a much better blood supply into them than teeth, which can get away with being oxygenated only at the roots. Bones are also more at risk of infection and stuff so need a good blood supply for the immune system. Plaque on bone would be a lot worse than plaque on teeth, and its not like it could brush.

I would accept a complete lack of lips if it was like a shark, but the very fact its bone shows that it isnt.

And even fish with exposed teeth, have lips. The teeth just show the very tips

Yeah, gotta agree with that.
Acheroraptor
Wiki Team

Postby barrosasaurus » Tue May 24, 2016 3:28 pm

Edaphosaurus wrote:
Satan wrote:I thought you could tell its teeth always show by that picture, because it has no lips.

I don't know how comparable those are though, as the jaws of Megalodon were completely sealed when shut, while that fish has gaps between the teeth

Wromg fish m8
I am the ex holy lepidotian pope. The current pope is medena, because i got bored

Also, i am a writer for UP, the one who makes everything sound pretty by saying stuff such as "the magenta flowers" :P
barrosasaurus
Ankylosaurus

Postby Edaphosaurus » Tue May 24, 2016 4:28 pm

barrosasaurus wrote:
Edaphosaurus wrote:
Satan wrote:I thought you could tell its teeth always show by that picture, because it has no lips.

I don't know how comparable those are though, as the jaws of Megalodon were completely sealed when shut, while that fish has gaps between the teeth

Wromg fish m8

How on earth did I screw that up
Edaphosaurus 2.0 - Still controversial, just with less hate
Edaphosaurus
Ankylosaurus

Postby FaceEaterMaximus » Tue May 24, 2016 9:41 pm

Did Hallucigenia have lips though?
Oh
FaceEaterMaximus
Velociraptor

Postby Satan » Tue May 24, 2016 9:50 pm

FaceEaterMaximus wrote:Did Hallucigenia have lips though?

I'm not sure, but Trilobites did (are there any Trilobites or Ammonites in PK..?).
Prehistoric Kingdom has too many Non-Avian Dinosaurs, meaning many bird and mammal species are left out. Help support adding more birds and mammals to hinder the monopoly of dinosaurs:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5438
Satan
Ankylosaurus

Postby Monolophosaurus » Thu May 26, 2016 1:06 pm

I feel like lips may be going too far at some point.

I can understand Dunkleosteus maybe a little bit, but its "teeth" are made of the same exact type of bone as the rest of its skull.

Oh yeah and that Smilodon thing is horse-crap. I highly doubt it had lips like that.

Theropods probably did though.
Officially my avatar:

An underrated theropod that deserves fame.
Monolophosaurus
Velociraptor

Postby Merking » Thu May 26, 2016 1:11 pm

Monolophosaurus wrote:I feel like lips may be going too far at some point.

I can understand Dunkleosteus maybe a little bit, but its "teeth" are made of the same exact type of bone as the rest of its skull.

Oh yeah and that Smilodon thing is horse-crap. I highly doubt it had lips like that.

1. I like the joke.
2. Dunkleosteus would, in this case, obviously have flesh over it´s skull, too.
3. Oh? Any reason for it not having lips beside your (quite obvious) bias? Duanne and co gave very good reasons for lips thus far.
Because my old "avatar" got kind of old.
I like feathers.
Patience is key here, little grasshoper.
Merking
Ankylosaurus

Postby Monolophosaurus » Thu May 26, 2016 1:16 pm

Merking wrote:

1. I like the joke.
3. Oh? Any reason for it not having lips beside your (quite obvious) bias? Duanne and co gave very good reasons for lips thus far.

Musk deer.

I rest my case.

Thylacosmilus probably had big muscular lips so you couldn't see the fangs considering its little offshoot below the mandible, but Smilodon? I doubt it, and especially not the bulldog reconstruction.
Officially my avatar:

Monolophosaurus
Velociraptor

Postby Merking » Thu May 26, 2016 1:34 pm

Monolophosaurus wrote:
Merking wrote:

1. I like the joke.

Musk deer.

I rest my case.

Thylacosmilus probably had big muscular lips so you couldn't see the fangs considering its little offshoot below the mandible, but Smilodon? I doubt it, and especially not the bulldog reconstruction.

I agree in the last point, it looking like a bulldog doesn´t really make sense to me either.
Because my old "avatar" got kind of old.
I like feathers.
Patience is key here, little grasshoper.
Merking
Ankylosaurus

Postby Monolophosaurus » Thu May 26, 2016 2:11 pm

Merking wrote:
Monolophosaurus wrote:
Merking wrote:1. I like the joke.

Musk deer.

I rest my case.

I agree in the last point, it looking like a bulldog doesn´t really make sense to me either.

I mean it probably had extensive lips but I don't think they would have gone all the way down to the very end of the tooth. I will admit I am a bit biased.
Officially my avatar:

Monolophosaurus
Velociraptor

PreviousNext

Return to Questions