Dunkleosteus - More lips for lip week

Share your burning questions about Prehistoric Kingdom

Re: Dunkleosteus - More lips for lip week

Postby barrosasaurus » Thu May 26, 2016 2:43 pm

The flaw of the musk deer argument has allready been discussed before. It goes down to their tusks being specially hardened. Unlike the saber teeth of smilodons and alike. Or something like that. I think more muscular feline lips as opposed to the bulldog lips (bulldogs arent healthy) were the case but anyway there is a topic for that.

Point is, pretty much all tetrapods, and a massive number of vertebras (the vast majority) have lips... Why would anything from the past be any different?
I am the ex holy lepidotian pope. The current pope is medena, because i got bored

Also, i am a writer for UP, the one who makes everything sound pretty by saying stuff such as "the magenta flowers" :P
barrosasaurus
Ankylosaurus

Postby Unkown Amniote » Thu May 26, 2016 3:46 pm

@Monolophsaurus Duane's newest post about Smilodon and lips in general show how tusks, aka what musk deer have, are the worst example to give in favour of a lipless animal. I suggest you read his post. Long story short, teeth are too delicate to outside forces to be without lips to give them a constant flow of saliva. It has been said before that saliva "is like the blood of the teeth and lips", i.e. without saliva the mouth won't work properly and will "die" just like a body without blood flow.

And yes, his purely bulldog like reconstruction isn't the most likely case, but there are much better depictions online as of now. This one right here is my favourite so far:
Unkown Amniote
Velociraptor

Postby Andrewsaurchus101 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:13 pm

Unkown Amniote wrote:@Monolophsaurus Duane's newest post about Smilodon and lips in general show how tusks, aka what musk deer have, are the worst example to give in favour of a lipless animal. I suggest you read his post. Long story short, teeth are too delicate to outside forces to be without lips to give them a constant flow of saliva. It has been said before that saliva "is like the blood of the teeth and lips", i.e. without saliva the mouth won't work properly and will "die" just like a body without blood flow.

And yes, his purely bulldog like reconstruction isn't the most likely case, but there are much better depictions online as of now. This one right here is my favourite so far:

hehe.....here's my favorite as of now Image
I'm here because prehistory is awesome!!!

Andrewsaurchus101
Velociraptor

Location: West coast Florida, Taming a Colombian mammoth while listening to rock and metal

Postby Unkown Amniote » Thu May 26, 2016 4:20 pm

I love that one too! I quite like this new look more than the old fashioned teeth hanging out. Depending on the reconstruction, it makes it look much more realistic. I actually think it looks more menacing, since it looks more robust and regal when it's mouth is closed. But when it opens it's mouth it becomes utterly terrifying. I honestly think we should only have a lipped Smilodon in PK, seeing as how impossible a lipless one is.
Unkown Amniote
Velociraptor

Postby Andrewsaurchus101 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:36 pm

Unkown Amniote wrote:I love that one too! I quite like this new look more than the old fashioned teeth hanging out. Depending on the reconstruction, it makes it look much more realistic. I actually think it looks more menacing, since it looks more robust and regal when it's mouth is closed. But when it opens it's mouth it becomes utterly terrifying. I honestly think we should only have a lipped Smilodon in PK, seeing as how impossible a lipless one is.

yeah, that's how I feel about smilodon along with a Tyrannosaurus, Dimetrodon, Dunkleoustes and just about every other land Predator
I'm here because prehistory is awesome!!!

Andrewsaurchus101
Velociraptor

Location: West coast Florida, Taming a Colombian mammoth while listening to rock and metal

Postby Monolophosaurus » Thu May 26, 2016 4:59 pm

Unkown Amniote wrote:@Monolophsaurus Duane's newest post about Smilodon and lips in general show how tusks, aka what musk deer have, are the worst example to give in favour of a lipless animal. I suggest you read his post. Long story short, teeth are too delicate to outside forces to be without lips to give them a constant flow of saliva. It has been said before that saliva "is like the blood of the teeth and lips", i.e. without saliva the mouth won't work properly and will "die" just like a body without blood flow.

I'm moving this to the Smilodon thread.
Officially my avatar:

An underrated theropod that deserves fame.
Monolophosaurus
Velociraptor

Postby Unkown Amniote » Thu May 26, 2016 5:05 pm

@Monolophosaurus my bad for getting off topic. But I do encourage you to read both posts. Especially the newest one since he goes really in depth with about how ordinary teeth, aka not tusks, in terrestrial animals that are exposed are impossible to occur in a healthy organism.
Unkown Amniote
Velociraptor

Postby SilvermistInc » Fri May 27, 2016 9:43 pm

Fish have lips?
Umboi Park, Kazakhstan Civil War, Cenozoic Park. Crazy stuff goes on in the SimINC Universe.
SilvermistInc
Ankylosaurus

Postby Edaphosaurus » Sat May 28, 2016 12:39 am

SilvermistInc wrote:Fish have lips?

Yup: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... iranha_(by).jpg
Edaphosaurus 2.0 - Still controversial, just with less hate
Edaphosaurus
Ankylosaurus

Postby SilvermistInc » Sat May 28, 2016 3:47 pm

Edaphosaurus wrote:
SilvermistInc wrote:Fish have lips?

Yup: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... iranha_(by).jpg

Bad link m8
Umboi Park, Kazakhstan Civil War, Cenozoic Park. Crazy stuff goes on in the SimINC Universe.
SilvermistInc
Ankylosaurus

PreviousNext

Return to Questions