Duane Nash

Share your burning questions about Prehistoric Kingdom

Duane Nash

Postby Kaprosuchus93 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:58 pm

Why did PK metion Duane Nash in an update regarding the new concept for Deinonyhus? Do PK hate this Duane Nash or what? (Just Curious)
Kaprosuchus93
Pterandon
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:20 pm

Re: Duane Nash

Postby Judy Jones » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:59 pm

Duane Nash is quite famous for attacks on the traditional sense of dinosaurs, pointing out how ugly modern animals can get compared to the beautiful chiseled dinosaurs in modern paleoart. He's the one that stirred up the controversy with lips on T. rex and Smilodon. They referenced him because of how butt-ugly the new Deinonychus concept is.
User avatar
Judy Jones
Pterandon
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:10 pm
Location: Sherry Island Golf Club

Re: Duane Nash

Postby Kaprosuchus93 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:32 pm

Judy Jones wrote:Duane Nash is quite famous for attacks on the traditional sense of dinosaurs, pointing out how ugly modern animals can get compared to the beautiful chiseled dinosaurs in modern paleoart. He's the one that stirred up the controversy with lips on T. rex and Smilodon. They referenced him because of how butt-ugly the new Deinonychus concept is.


I completely understand about the lips on Rex and Smilodon and I early did read about the new Deinonychus, too. :lol:
Kaprosuchus93
Pterandon
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:20 pm

Re: Duane Nash

Postby Unkown Amniote » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:23 pm

Duane's a close acquaintence of mine, and even without me being biased towards him due to our relationship, he's still a great researcher that makes you think. He's not right 100% of the time of course (but that's only human), but he researches data from multiple reliable scources while still giving good real world examples. I hate how he gets so much s**t from people jsut because he makes people realize how strange or utterly nonsensical some things we "expect" from extinct animals are. Like how utterly nonsensical it is for Smilodon to not have lips, yet it's just been assumed it didn't because it's a cultural meme. And his latest posts about wattles and the behaviour and biomechanics of Dromaeosaurids are truely fascinating. It's a meme now for Dromaeosaurids to be elegant, dainty small game hunters. Although it's far better than the old awesombro/Ark version, it's still a meme regardless that's suprisingly over done. He points out so many similarities between extinct "Raptors" and various gnarly looking birds of prey. So much to a point where it really should be common place for the AVERAGE* Dromaeuosaurid to look like a vulture analogue. But nooo! We have to be butt hurt that he makes an amazing arguement in favour of wattles and gnarly looking extinct raptors just because we're used to Dromaeosaurs being overly dainty. Don't get me wrong though. There are still plenty of good "non dainty" versions of Dromaeosaurs that are still accurate.

*and I do mean average. Read Duane's post about this to truely understand it. It's a good read.
User avatar
Unkown Amniote
Velociraptor
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:08 pm

Re: Duane Nash

Postby Merking » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:03 am

Unkown Amniote wrote:Duane's a close acquaintence of mine, and even without me being biased towards him due to our relationship, he's still a great researcher that makes you think. He's not right 100% of the time of course (but that's only human), but he researches data from multiple reliable scources while still giving good real world examples. I hate how he gets so much s**t from people jsut because he makes people realize how strange or utterly nonsensical some things we "expect" from extinct animals are. Like how utterly nonsensical it is for Smilodon to not have lips, yet it's just been assumed it didn't because it's a cultural meme. And his latest posts about wattles and the behaviour and biomechanics of Dromaeosaurids are truely fascinating. It's a meme now for Dromaeosaurids to be elegant, dainty small game hunters. Although it's far better than the old awesombro/Ark version, it's still a meme regardless that's suprisingly over done. He points out so many similarities between extinct "Raptors" and various gnarly looking birds of prey. So much to a point where it really should be common place for the AVERAGE* Dromaeuosaurid to look like a vulture analogue. But nooo! We have to be butt hurt that he makes an amazing arguement in favour of wattles and gnarly looking extinct raptors just because we're used to Dromaeosaurs being overly dainty. Don't get me wrong though. There are still plenty of good "non dainty" versions of Dromaeosaurs that are still accurate.

*and I do mean average. Read Duane's post about this to truely understand it. It's a good read.

I doubt that anyone can say he wouldn´t do his research, but the conclusions that he gets out of it sometimes seem rather far fetched in my eyes.
Image
Because my old "avatar" got kind of old.
I like feathers.
Patience is key here, little grasshoper.
User avatar
Merking
Ankylosaurus
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:22 am
Location: Discord

Re: Duane Nash

Postby velocichap » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:19 am

I think Trey did a video explaining that vulture head dromeaosaurids are not accurate but I am still open to find out they did but Trey in that video got help from a lot of people including various paleontologists
Hello, I'm Velocichap writer of the upcoming web book The Darwin Menagerie, a zoo for both extinct and endangered animals. message me if you want a link to my Discord server to find out more :) https://discord.gg/6NrgEZw
User avatar
velocichap
Ankylosaurus
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:27 am
Location: Ireland writing books and slaying haters

Re: Duane Nash

Postby Judy Jones » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:27 pm

Unkown Amniote wrote:Duane's a close acquaintence of mine, and even without me being biased towards him due to our relationship, he's still a great researcher that makes you think. He's not right 100% of the time of course (but that's only human), but he researches data from multiple reliable scources while still giving good real world examples. I hate how he gets so much s**t from people jsut because he makes people realize how strange or utterly nonsensical some things we "expect" from extinct animals are. Like how utterly nonsensical it is for Smilodon to not have lips, yet it's just been assumed it didn't because it's a cultural meme.


You can't blame people, these kinds of sweeping changes that occur in paleontology really don't happen anywhere else. It's human nature to be resistant to change, everyone against him is just healthily skeptical (well, except for the awesome bros).

Unkown Amniote wrote:And his latest posts about wattles and the behaviour and biomechanics of Dromaeosaurids are truely fascinating. It's a meme now for Dromaeosaurids to be elegant, dainty small game hunters. Although it's far better than the old awesombro/Ark version, it's still a meme regardless that's suprisingly over done. He points out so many similarities between extinct "Raptors" and various gnarly looking birds of prey. So much to a point where it really should be common place for the AVERAGE* Dromaeuosaurid to look like a vulture analogue. But nooo! We have to be butt hurt that he makes an amazing arguement in favour of wattles and gnarly looking extinct raptors just because we're used to Dromaeosaurs being overly dainty. Don't get me wrong though. There are still plenty of good "non dainty" versions of Dromaeosaurs that are still accurate.

*and I do mean average. Read Duane's post about this to truely understand it. It's a good read.


Vulture headed dromaeosaurs are even more of a meme than the ground eagle look.
User avatar
Judy Jones
Pterandon
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:10 pm
Location: Sherry Island Golf Club

Re: Duane Nash

Postby Unkown Amniote » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:22 pm

@Merking what is far fetched to you?

@Velocichap can you link me the video?

@Judy Jones since when has a vulture headed look been common place? I see it once in a while, but for the most part the only thing I see on a daily basis is either a JP raptor, a Greg Paul-ian raptor with an accurate skull but shrink wrapped or I see something really beautiful and majesitc looking like what Emily Willoughby draws. The vulture "meme" is incredibly rare.
User avatar
Unkown Amniote
Velociraptor
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:08 pm

Re: Duane Nash

Postby Judy Jones » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:01 am

Unkown Amniote wrote:@Merking what is far fetched to you?

@Velocichap can you link me the video?

@Judy Jones since when has a vulture headed look been common place? I see it once in a while, but for the most part the only thing I see on a daily basis is either a JP raptor, a Greg Paul-ian raptor with an accurate skull but shrink wrapped or I see something really beautiful and majesitc looking like what Emily Willoughby draws. The vulture "meme" is incredibly rare.


Where have you been sense 2001? Besides, the vulture headed look isn't even something Nash suggested.
User avatar
Judy Jones
Pterandon
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:10 pm
Location: Sherry Island Golf Club

Re: Duane Nash

Postby Acheroraptor » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:18 am

Unkown Amniote wrote:Duane's a close acquaintence of mine, and even without me being biased towards him due to our relationship, he's still a great researcher that makes you think. He's not right 100% of the time of course (but that's only human), but he researches data from multiple reliable scources while still giving good real world examples. I hate how he gets so much s**t from people jsut because he makes people realize how strange or utterly nonsensical some things we "expect" from extinct animals are. Like how utterly nonsensical it is for Smilodon to not have lips, yet it's just been assumed it didn't because it's a cultural meme. And his latest posts about wattles and the behaviour and biomechanics of Dromaeosaurids are truely fascinating. It's a meme now for Dromaeosaurids to be elegant, dainty small game hunters. Although it's far better than the old awesombro/Ark version, it's still a meme regardless that's suprisingly over done. He points out so many similarities between extinct "Raptors" and various gnarly looking birds of prey. So much to a point where it really should be common place for the AVERAGE* Dromaeuosaurid to look like a vulture analogue. But nooo! We have to be butt hurt that he makes an amazing arguement in favour of wattles and gnarly looking extinct raptors just because we're used to Dromaeosaurs being overly dainty. Don't get me wrong though. There are still plenty of good "non dainty" versions of Dromaeosaurs that are still accurate.

*and I do mean average. Read Duane's post about this to truely understand it. It's a good read.


Can you link the post?
Image
User avatar
Acheroraptor
Wiki Team
 
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:19 pm

Next

Return to Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest