ABZÛ

Place for anything and everything!

ABZÛ

Postby SushiKing789 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:31 pm

So maybe this is a bit overdue, since the game has been out for like half a month by now, but off topic has been quiet the last few days, so meh. This also shouldn't be seen as advertisement, these are just my thoughts on the game and a little bit of backstory, but if that sways your decision to buy it, more power to you.

Developer Giant Squid was founded by two of the most influential people who were behind Journey, namely the art director Matt Nava, who also worked with Thatgamecompany on the game Flower, and composer Austin Wintory, who composed the soundtrack behind The Order: 1886, Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Thatgamecompany's flOw to name a few. After over two years of development, Giant Squid has finally released their first game, ABZÛ, for the PlayStation 4 and PC. My PC isn't beefy enough to run it, so I pre-ordered the PS4 version, and since it's come out, I've played through it nine times. I can't recommend this game enough.

From the art director of Journey®, ABZÛ is a beautiful underwater adventure that evokes the dream of diving. Immerse yourself in a vibrant hidden world bursting with color and life as you descend into the heart of the ocean. But beware as you swim deeper as dangers lurk in the depths. - ABZÛ Steam Page

There is a mystery to ABZÛ and an explanation for nearly everything in the game, a story hidden in plain sight so well that it's possible to miss it entirely, which I won't spoil, but the game's story is more or less a reward for exploration and reflecting on ABZÛ's events, further speaking to it's target audience, although with it's amazing visuals and beautiful soundtrack composed by Austin Wintory, it's debatable whether or not ABZÛ even needs that hidden backstory.

ABZÛ definitely isn't for everyone with it's complete lack of danger, linear exploration based gameplay, and generally relaxed and very soothing tone that is only interrupted in sections like the jetstreams, certain chapters, and the game's bombastic climax. Players that ONLY enjoy genres like First-Person Shooters among others most likely won't enjoy ABZÛ, although since almost everyone here on this forum is a fan of genres like Tycoon games, I don't think many people here won't enjoy it.

A final word of notice is that ABZÛ is not a totally realistic representation of our ocean's ecosystem, rather it is an artistic, somewhat exaggerated, yet grounded depiction of the world below the waves.

Trailers for those who are Interested:

P.S. There's a chapter solely dedicated to extinct aquatic animals, and no Megalodon, I couldn't make this shit up if I tried.
All Hail Gavin McInnes.
Things I Hate? It's a long list...

Modern Feminists
LGBT Community
Furries
Bronies
Weeaboos
Religious Extremists
Jehovah's Witnesses

Share to Trigger someone.
SushiKing789
Velociraptor

Re: ABZÛ

Postby Windmiller » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:20 am

didn't read what you wrote as Im affraid of spoilers :P

But, watching the trailer I got a Journey flashback- I loved Journey, in fact it was one of the closest things to a spiritual experience I have felt in a video game, heck even in real life.
My point is, I hope Abzû will give that feel too. ^^
29 miles of the coast of Papua New Guinea...
Death is arbitrary, and once put in an unsurvivable situation, there is only one way left to go...
The sceptical writer of Umboi Park, we'll see how it turns out
Windmiller
Velociraptor

Postby SushiKing789 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:45 pm

Windmiller wrote:didn't read what you wrote as Im affraid of spoilers :P

But, watching the trailer I got a Journey flashback- I loved Journey, in fact it was one of the closest things to a spiritual experience I have felt in a video game, heck even in real life.
My point is, I hope Abzû will give that feel too. ^^

Nah, there are no spoilers except for maybe the tiny text.

Yes, trust me, it delivers on everything that made Journey great. From my experience, I think ABZÛ completely surpasses Journey, and I considered Journey to be one of my favorite indie games of all time, like easily in my top three. I enjoyed Journey more than any other indie game at that time, and I only have played through it i think three times in the last four or so years since it's release, once on PS3 and twice on PS4, but in the last month since it's release, I've now played ABZÛ through from the beginning to the end ten times as of yesterday. Just a beautiful game, 10/10 from me, and to anyone reading who enjoys artistic, beautiful, sort of ethereal and spiritual indie games that are rather short but still emotionally engaging and moving in a very large way, ABZÛ is for you.
All Hail Gavin McInnes.
Things I Hate? It's a long list...

Modern Feminists
LGBT Community
Furries
Bronies
Weeaboos
Religious Extremists
Jehovah's Witnesses

Share to Trigger someone.
SushiKing789
Velociraptor

Postby Windmiller » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:04 am

Well, I have now played Abzû aswell.

So, do I like it? Yes.
Do I love it? Sadly no.
The thing is, I might excuse my lack of love for this game by explaining I had four and a half hours sleep before playing it. But most likely I should probably blame the lack of a top score towards the controls of the game.
What made Journey great -and complimented the overall experience- was the lack of "control options". You did not have to worry about messing up the path you were taking and stray off it. In Abzû, you float in a 3D environment, and when you want to, say swim to the surface, your character -because of the angle of the camera- won't swim in the desired direction. As a minor thing this might seem, it was a present nuistance from the begining to the end. I never really felt that I managed to master this simple thing of swiming from A to B.
Although the soundtrack was great - I still felt there was something missing at times, something majestic. Cause it is all but in name a "Journey Soundtrack", but without the really hard hitting and satisfying notes of the climax of the different tracks.

All in all, Im not saying that the game is bad, it just (for me) didn't live quite up to the expectations of its spiritual predecessor.
If I rated Journey 10/10, ABZÛ would be given a solid 8/10.
Maybe 9/10 if I weren't tired.
29 miles of the coast of Papua New Guinea...
Death is arbitrary, and once put in an unsurvivable situation, there is only one way left to go...
The sceptical writer of Umboi Park, we'll see how it turns out
Windmiller
Velociraptor

Return to Off-Topic Discussion